In ‘Why Gym Goers MUST Practice Yoga (Part 1)’ I gave you what, to my mind, were very compelling reasons to supplement your daily workout with a few yoga sessions a week. Here are 5 more reasons for why you have no excuse NOT to practice yoga.
6. Lets talk about abs. The real kinds. Anyone who has them will tell you they need a strong back and strong sides. Ever seen anyone with washboard abs slouching? Or do you associate their mien with that of a proud pigeon? Well that tall, proud profile is a result of the strong back muscles which hold up the abs. And the strong back muscles are a byproduct of a regular yoga practice. Ofcourse you still have to work like crazy for the abs … but every bit counts in the quest for Those Perfect Abs.
7. Do you workout before work? Then the guided meditation in the savasana post a yoga session can refresh you mentally and physically, so you won’t feel fatigued for the workday, Au contraire, you might experience new found energy due to the increased oxygen flow through your system. You will get that perfect bod and that perfect appraisal.
8. Breath control. You can harness this natural process to increase your body’s ability to breathe better and increase your performance and well being. Whether you’re a casual gym goer or an athlete, being able to breath better will bring about an immeasurable improvement in your performance and overall well being. Breathing exercises form an integral part of any yoga class.
9. Balance. I’m not talking of the Natrajasana variety. I’m talking about mental balance. Your first yoga class may make you feel like you’ve been beaten into a corner. Everyone else will seem to be effortlessly gliding into poses and smiling while doing unbelievable contortions. And in the middle of it all, there’s you, an adrenaline driven gym rat who competes with himself/herself every single moment they’re in the gym. So when you’re unable to do an asana, it can be more than a triffle de-motivating. However, think of the unbelievable mental strength that you will cultivate when you take yourself back to yoga class every day and then see your body and mind becoming stronger and more supple. This point is about the mental strength, the physical aspect is a byproduct.
10. It’s fun!!! Have you ever seen anyone frowning or grimacing during yoga class? It won’t kill you to add some fun to your daily workout. Fun is good for you!!!